Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

A Story of Me and Yew

This is a quick summary of the work that's been done on a bonsai tree i just sold a friend of mine.

I just realized that I don't have a current picture, but the new owner was kind enough to send me the current pictures.



Back in 2008 I was a member of the Indianapolis Bonsai Club and we decided that we will all get the same type of tree to work on - let's all get a yew. I lived in Bloomington, Indiana at the time. So I went to a nursery and asked them to show me what they had. Turns out they did not have any in stock, but the guy I was talking to told me that he just dug one out a few weeks ago and I could have it.



For the next few years I tried to keep it alive, reduce the size and choose a few branches I wanted to keep. I took it to a few workshops, but did not really get far in the fay of styling or choosing the front. Here is what it looked like in 2014.



By 2016 I decided on the front and Juan Andrade did his magic and the tree got into it's final shape. Juan bent the top down, for which he had to saw a curf into the trunck and bend it pretty drastically. He left an "insurance" branch on the left in case the top were to die. The rest was just moving the tree into a better pot in 2017, letting it grow and cutting it back.





The last two pictures are from 2019.
I am very happy that a good friend was interested in buying this tree and I look forward to watching it develop further.

2 comments: