Search This Blog

Friday, February 17, 2017

Update on Air Layer Progress.

A year ago I wrote a blog about a big air layer that almost worked - here is the link. I repotted the tree again today.

Below I am posting a number of pictures summarizing the repotting, but I wanted to also include some impressions. First, I was amazed by how many roots there were in the pot - this variety can produce a lot of roots. It also produces tiny leaves, some are smaller than a quarter. it too me some time to bust through the roots and get to the bottom of the hard wood and then to comb the roots out. If you are interested in my 25 step process of repotting you might want to read this blog from 4 years ago.

After I combed and trimmed the roots I noticed that I had some new roots in the area that did not produce any roots last year, but not everywhere. So I cut it to exposre cambium and added some rooting hormone. The plan is to take cuttings and graft roots next year in the area the need them.

I am learning that it is very important to repot fast growing varieties like this kind of Japanese maples and tridents every year to correct the roots and develop better nebari.


Speaking of better nebari, here is a picture of a two year old airlayer from a red leaf maple - it is coming right along.

No comments:

Post a Comment